Saturday, June 6, 2020

A GOLDEN SONG

Agoo!! Agoo!! Shhh!! Shhh!!
What is this that I hear? What is this that I feel?
I can sense excitement in the air.
There is music and merry making
In my curiosity I drew near
Behold, there stood the mini twin towers
Built at the heart of odomankoma’s own suapon KNUST
As I drew nearer, I could hear voices
The whispers were that of praise
Praise for a mother.
Praise for the mighty oak
The tree whose branches know no bounds
And offers shelter to all and sundry
From the North to the South
Continued from the East to the West
Across the continent and beyond the seas
They have all come,
Gathered together to celebrate her goodness
They recounted of her many exploits
That she just turned 2 scores and 10.
The bearer of bearers has chalked half a century
The citadel of wisdom has aged.
Has aged graciously in admiration
She is supple and fresh and has not lost her charm
The mother hen that nurtures her own kind has a mission
The bearer of nation bearers has not lost her passion
Your influence on your generation is immeasurable
I see it in your many offspring and how well placed they are in society
Sowing seeds in their various fields of endeavor
I know of the housewives and teachers
I am very much aware of the entrepreneurs and the socialites
I have been told of the scientists and engineers and all the other professionals birthed
And the excellence they portray everywhere they go
But I know, yes I know that you are not done with us
That you will remain fertile forever, that you would continue to conceive nation builders
What shall I do in return for your love, what can I say for your immense impact. I can eulogize you for days unending and hail you till the rains come
But there is tomorrow and so must words end at dawn.
I only have this to offer, a token of gratitude, a song of gold.
Composed by: Marian Asantewah Nkansah on 3rd June 2017 in commemoration of the Golden Jubilee of Africa Hall, KNUST

No comments:

Post a Comment

A POEM IN COMMEMORATION OF THE 70TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, KUMASI GHANA

 A PLATINUM ODE Agoo!! Agoo!! Shhh!! Shhh!!  What is this that I hear? What is this that I feel?  I can sense excitement in the air.  There ...